Friday, March 7, 2014

DIY Maternity Dress

DIY Maternity Dress

So, I haven't been doing a very good job of blogging.  Okay, who am I kidding, I stink at this blogging thing.  One post in a year!?!  I am going to try to make an effort to do some more blogging of sessions, DIY projects, whatever you guys would like to read.

You are welcome to use this tutorial to make as many of these as you would like, but please don't sell dresses made from this tutorial, and please don't sell my "pattern".



Here is my third attempt at a maternity dress.  I also made a matching skirt to go under so that this wasn't too revealing.  If you are interested in making this, I purchased everything from Joann Fabrics.  I bought all of my items at the Joann Fabric's store, but I linked to similar ones that I found online.

You will need the following:

2 Yards of Lace
I can't find the specific one I used, but I used one similar to this. The color is Tango Red.
1 Yard of coordinating Rayon Spandex
I used this Chili Pepper
Spool of coordinating thread
This thread in candy apple
1 Yard of coordinating thin rope ribbon (called rattail)
I used this, but in red
1 spool of coordinating satin ribbon
I used a smaller spool, but similar to this one









Cut a 9 inch x 29 inch panel off of the top of the lace.  
Cut 2 pieces of the same size of the coordinating fabric.
Cut the remaining piece of lace in half so that you have two long pieces, 
with two finished edges.


Place on solid panel flat, with the lace panel on top.  Place the long lace pieces on top of the 
sandwiched fabric.  The finished edges should overlap slightly in the very middle of the 
sandwiched fabric. (Yellow pin).  Pin the lace in place.  



At the 3 inch mark, grab a one inch piece of lace and pull it to the 2 inch mark.
Pin in both places shown.  Skipping an inch, grab an inch of lace, folding it over to the 
inch before, and pin, working in one direction first, and then the next.

Follow instructions on the other side.

Pin the other panel of coordinating fabric on top and sew a straight stitch. 
I sewed a second stitch closer to the edge, once I took the pins out to make it a little sturdier.


Take out the pins, trim the fabric, and place it right side out.  Push the extra lace to the sides.

Pull the coordinating fabric over the lace from of the chest of the dress.  Now you will have
the top portion of the dress, inside out.  Pin, and sew with a straight stitch.  
I stitched this twice too.


Turn the top right side out.

Cut eight 4 inch pieces of the rope ribbon, loop them, and tack them 4 each on the inside of the
tube top of the dress. 


With a short zigzag stitch, run back on forth over the hooks twice.  


Trim extra on the loops.  Fold the fabric in nicely to make a finished edge.  With the short zigzag stitch,
sew the ends of the dress top.


If you want to make a sweetheart top, with big stitches, hand stitch down the center of the top,
pull it tight, and secure.  


Loop your ribbon through the corset back.

Now do a happy dance, because you are finished!

 
 
What other DIY projects would you like me to blog about?
 
 
 












3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. I plan to blog some more about my sessions and also the behind the scenes stuff too. Like DIY props.

      Delete
  2. This is just what I needed for a Maternity sesh I'm doing this weekend. Easy to follow steps = AWESOME! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete